Poker Pot Odds

Pot Odds Is Very Importent In My Opinion

Pot odds defined

The idea of pot odds is crucial when deciding actions in poker play. Pot odds refer to the relationship between the pot size compared to bet size. If there is a $10 pot  and, in order to call, you have to put in a $2 bet, you are getting pot odds of 5:1. If you have to call a $5 bet in the same $10 pot, you are getting pot odds of 2:1.

round bottom
round-top-large

The size of the pot

Always be conscious of pot size. When in a Limit poker game, count the number of bets in the pot rather than counting the amount of money. When bets double, for example in Hold'em, count the big bets as two small bets. When Pot-Limit or No-Limit is the game, it is a more difficult  to count the pot and the odds will probably  not be as exact. Nevertheless, you must still do it.

How to use pot odds

Once you determine the pot odds, use the information appropriately. To do this, connect the pot odds to the value of your hand. Then means you must be able to put your opponents on likely hands and consider your chances of holding a better hand than theirs. Let's say, you have a flush draw on the flop in hold'em and are up against an opponent you believe has, at a minimum, a top pair. There are nine cards, called outs, which will give you a flush when you have flopped a four flush. The below table indicates that nine outs gives a 35% change, or 2:1 against, of making the flush on the turn and river combined. This means you need to have pot odds of at least 2:1 to call any bet on the flop.

Implied odds

Implied odds refers to the relationship between the size of the current pot and the pot you expect to win. This means that sometimes the pot does not lay the right odds, when when you decided to play expecting to get further action and win more when you hit the hand. For example, in Limit Hold'em your opponent bets $20 into an $80 pot, your call gives you pot odds of 5:1 since you are risking $20 to win $120. But, if you expect your opponent to call a bet or raise on the river if you make your hand, your implied odds are 6:1 or 7:1.

A rule of thumb for Texas Hold'em and Omaha

Every out gives you an approximate 4% chance of hitting on the turn and river combined. For example, 5 outs gives you about a 20% chance of improving, 6 outs about 24%, etc.

Poker Strategy Guide:

Strategy Article 1. Bankroll Management

Strategy Article 2. Key Tips & Skills

Strategy Article 3. Going On Tilt

Strategy Article 4. Multi-Table Poker Strategy

Newsletter Signup - Get 10 free poker tips as well as our newsletter November 24, 2017

GO